We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training in mathematical sciences, research and public engagement in STEM. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and Rwanda.
Each AIMS Centre provides expertly tailored academic and non-academic programs, training around 50 African students each year and preparing them for leadership in the domains of academia, government and industry. The AIMS academic program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Finance Manager, AIMS Research and Innovation Centre!
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the proper implementation of financial proceduresin all AIMS Research and Innovation Centre programs. Also, the Finance Manager will be responsible for overseeing and maintaining effective and efficient accounting and financial records, preparing financial reports for all funders at AIMS Research and Innovation Centre, and preparing the payroll and maintaining accounts payables.
Reporting to the Director Scientific Development and Administration, the Finance Manager will ensure compliance with organizational financial policies as well asstatutory financial requirements; oversee the execution of general accounting and financial transactions; coordinate with relevant program and support staff on of managing issues that include, but are not limited to, preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual expenditure plans. He/she will collaborate with AIMS Network financial management staff to prepare reports for AIMS Network-administered grants; he/she will prepare financial reports for Centre- administered grants as requested by program managers and donors for project planning and execution and reporting purposes.
The Finance Manager will also maintain and operate bank accounts of the Centre to ensure efficient management of the Centre’s funds; forecast cash flow requirements and, in consultation with the line manager, request transfers based on the approved budgets to meet cash needs; track incoming wire transfers and report any delays or discrepancies to the Director of Scientific Development and Administration immediately. He/she will prepare monthly bank reconciliations for all existing bank accounts and ensure the accuracy of the bank and cash balances in ACCPAC and other applicable financial management software.
As the ideal candidate and in collaboration with the management team of the Centre, you will ensure the preparation of the Centre budget and manage the overall annual budget of the Centre. You will serve as a contact for the external bodies like Rwanda Social Security Board, tax recovery institutions.
In addition, the Finance Manager will create and support the maintenance of information on warranties, leases, maintenance, and software contracts and licenses. He/she will also report on asset inventory and management This is a 2-Year (renewable) opportunity based at AIMS Research and Innovation Centre in Kigali Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- A degree in Finance, or Accounting related discipline
- Qualified Accountant with an international accounting body is an asset
- Minimum 5 years’ senior level exposure to financial management and policies with an appreciation of meeting statutory requirements.
- Demonstrated leadership in all areas of financial and budget administration through policy and procedure development, adherence to financial and operational controls.
- Expert understanding and execution of both narrative and financial monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts, budgets, statements, and financial reports.
- Proven ability to analyze, summarize and synthesize financial data, critical attention to detail and impactful decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated skill in maintenance of complex financial records.
- Expert proficiency in cash flow management.
- A diverse knowledge of non-profit organizations with broad exposure to reporting on donor funded projects.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Expert proficiency with software like ACCPAC and Microsoft Excel, familiarity with IFRS reporting requirements will be an asset.
- Self-sufficient with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint) and savvy with web- based applications (SharePoint, Dropbox, Google, Skype).
- A valid passport
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Click on this link to apply. Applications will be accepted until September 25, 2023.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS within four weeks of the deadline, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS is an equal opportunity employer. Visit www.nexteinstein.org to learn more about AIMS.
To download full call for application click here